August 23, 2010

Wow - Really?!?

I thought I was prepared but maybe not.  How can it be that I just sent my son off for his first day as a high school FRESHMAN and my daughter off for her first day as a SENIOR?  Let's just take a look at a then and now, shall we?

First day of 3rd grade

First day of 6th grade


First day of 12th grade

First day of 9th grade

I know, you ask "what does this post have to do with gardening?" and I'm going to get around to that but first, I just have to take a few deep breaths and wipe a few tears.  It's going to take some time (and some girlfriend therapy) to absorb that BOTH my kids are in high school!

Ok, I think I can go on...So all summer I enjoyed having my kids around the house but I will admit that there were a few times when I imagined this day...time to walk the garden, ponder the projects that I want to tackle this fall, imagining myself watching the miraculous recovery of the garden as it responds to some cooler days. Hey, anything below 95 is going to be a welcome relief right?  And now the time is here - they're out the door and honestly, the house is too quiet.  I miss them.  It's only 10:48.  They've only been gone 3 hours.  

So I think I'll do what always calms me most...head outside and stroll, ponder, observe and simply just absorb the beauty to be found in nature and reflect on what a wonderful gift it is to be surrounded by the peace to be found there.

Disappearing fountain

Japanese Maple

Martha Gonzales Antique Rose

Black Magic Elephant Ear

Our lives have seasons just as our gardens do and I'm going to do my best to focus on the best this season of my children growing up has to offer.  

3 comments:

  1. This is so true. I am feeling strangely unsettled at the moment and it seems to be related to my kiddos.

    Your photos are wonderful, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to agree. I can't wait for them to leave when they are here and then I miss them when they're gone. I want my cake and eat it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can totally relate to this. I never see your beautiful kids, it so hard to believe how big they have all gotten!

    ReplyDelete