September 11, 2010

Yippee!

I should have waited a little while to plant the butterfly weed.  It really is too hot still but I just couldn't resist after seeing Amy's pictures at Go Away, I'm Gardening.  They were just too tempting.   The Monarch's found the flowers right away and today, much to my surprise, there was a caterpillar happily wandering around!  Yippee!

You can see that the aphids have found the butterfly weed too.  And, believe it or not, the plant was actually wilting today in the heat and humidity even after 13 inches of rain! 

But I'm glad it was because that's why I went out to take a closer look and I was gifted with a glimpse of this little guy.  It makes me so happy to have a host plant for the Monarch's!  Thanks again Amy for your beautiful post!  My family has so enjoyed having this plant in the garden and watching all the butterflies that are attracted to it's blooms.  Now, we are hoping to see a chrysalis!


Check out this website for more on the Monarch's migration and life cycle...http://www.monarchbutterflyusa.com/

2 comments:

  1. They are so much fun to watch. I haven't seen any caterpillars on mine, yet. I keep looking for them.
    Every time I plant butterfly weed for the first couple of weeks it doesn't look good at all and then it perks right up. It doesn't transplant well at all.
    It is a good thing that it grows fast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear it perks up. Here's hoping that some lady bugs find their way to it! There were butterflies all around the plants at BSN and I think I just got lucky and got one with some eggs!

    ReplyDelete