October 21, 2010

Fall on A Flatbed Scanner

Gardening Gone Wild is hosting the Picture This Photo Contest which they host every month.  This month's theme is "Fall on a Flatbed Scanner." 

It's an interesting concept to create a photographic image without a camera.  It's also a lot of fun.  I've had no experience with a scanner.  In fact, I don't even own one.  I showed up at my friend's house with a box full of cuttings from my garden and we started playing.  We had a great time until our children started calling.  Apparently they need to be fed on a regular basis!

This is my entry for this month's contest:


Thanks for stopping by!

Update:  Congratulations to the winners of the Fall on a Flatbed Scanner contest and thanks so much to Craig Cramer of Ellis Hollow for the honorable mention!  Head over to Gardening Gone Wild if you would like to see all the beautiful entries.  I'm glad I didn't have to judge this contest!

15 comments:

  1. Love your scan. First time for me also. I will say I will definitely try this project again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really lovely scan. So surprising that your children wanted to be fed, though . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just made my first scans in the past two days!!! I entered the contest also, but just wanted to say I have no chance against you guys who made such beautiful designs! I love how you had the yellow leaves behind the red bloom! Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this picture is lovely! I also love all your garden pictures. For sure, you are whimsical and talented. I'll add your blog to CTG's blogroll right this minute. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A warm welcome to the new visitors to The Whimsical Gardener! I really appreciate you stopping by and your warm welcome into the blogosphere. I hope you'll be back! I'll be looking into your blogs soon ;-) ~Cat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cat, That is absolutely stunning! The first time I read about this technique was at Professor Roush's blog. He had used roses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea Cat - a a super result !

    And those children - feed them and they'll be happy for a while, teach them to make their own meals and you get to 'play' much longer ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! The warmth of the light is magic! ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an unusual idea, but what great results you got. That red rose just pops out against the yellow leaves and black background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cat - a brilliant idea, a great design and a fabulous result. Looks so 3D.

    Laura

    p.s. Is that a Sei-Ryu Acer (Green Dragon)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura, I'm sorry, I don't know the variety of the maple...I'll have to try to get an identification.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rick, yes you make a very good observation! One is pretty self-sufficient. The other, somewhat like a baby bird waiting for the mama to come by and drop some food off! Truth be told, I'm glad he still needs me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty fall colors and combination! I bet that was fun to put together. I'm not sure how to do it...I'll have to get out our scanner and figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. One, I've not heard of that blog - I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete